Dry eye is a common condition that can be irritating and painful. Fortunately, your eye doctor can help. The optometrists at Precision Eye Group provide a wide range of vision services, including diagnosis and treatment of dry eye. They have convenient office locations in Honesdale, Dingmans’ Ferry, Carbondale, and Lake Ariel, PA, to help you.
What You Need to Know about Dry Eye
When you have dry eyes, it can be common to experience eye pain, tired eyes, and vision problems. You may be tempted to try out over-the-counter eye drops, however, your eyes can become dependent on them, and not really correct the problem.
Dry eye can be caused by:
- A chronic medical condition affecting your eyes
- Staying in an air-conditioned area for a long period
- Flying in an airplane for an extended period of time
- Spending an extended time reading
- Looking at a television, computer, or other screen for a long period of time
When you have dry eye, it’s common to experience:
- Burning or stinging in your eyes
- Redness, scratchiness, or eye-watering
- Mucus forming in or around your eyes
- Light sensitivity or problems with night driving
- Blurred vision and tired eyes
If you are experiencing any of the signs or symptoms listed above, you should seek out the services of your eye doctor. Your eye doctor has several goals when treating dry eye. Treatments are designed to:
- Enhance tear quality
- Keep tears from draining too quickly
- Reduce eyelid inflammation
- Reduce corneal inflammation
- Release or stimulate tears
To achieve these goals, your eye doctor may recommend:
- Medication therapy
- Closing or plugging your tear ducts to keep tears in place
- Contact lenses created especially for dry eyes
- Light therapy using Intense Pulse Light (IPL)
- Amniotic Membrane to heal the eye surface
- Nutritional supplements to help build tears
Want to Know More?
To find out more about the causes and treatment of dry eye, call the optometrists at Precision Eye Group. You can reach them in Honesdale, PA, by calling (570) 253-6551, Dingmans’ Ferry, PA, by calling (570) 686-1102, Carbondale, PA, by calling (570) 282-4080, and Lake Ariel, PA, by calling (570) 698-4140, so call today.